Thursday, December 02, 2010

Getting Cold - Florida Style


With the colder weather coming our way I wanted to send a quick post to say goodbye to the fall wildflowers.




These are the wildflowers that grow in the woods by the lake where we take Masala out to run.





I don't know the names of the flowers. I should, being a Florida naturalist.




Maybe, that could be another project. I tried once, and even have a book, on identifying trees in Florida. So many types of oak trees.... Live oak, Chapman oak, turkey oak....



I tried to do the same with Butterflies and Moths. I bought a little Florida field guide and was going to be able to identify the Florida species. But....



 I still think it is a Monarch that flies by. And, I did identify the lunar moth; but that was through Google. I don't have a good memory, and anyway, like Shakespeare said (was it Shakespeare? Yes, it was Shakespeare - through Romeo) " that which we call a rose,  By any other name would smell as sweet.' 



I know these weren't pictures of roses. But. Look. A picture of Masala. Running. I did say the wildflowers grew by the lake where we take Masala running.



 However, with the frost, the citrus on the trees in the yard will become sweeter on the tree
and we can begin to pick the tangelos.
These are my favorite because I love the taste sour!!



To every season (and taste!)....

*************************************************

From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1600:
JULIET:
      'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
      Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
      What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
      Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
      Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
      What's in a name? that which we call a rose
      By any other name would smell as sweet;
      So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
      Retain that dear perfection which he owes
      Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
      And for that name which is no part of thee
      Take all myself.


Peace.
Brianne

No comments:

Post a Comment